Sarkozky planned a London decamp to escape corruption probe
Washington: Former French President Nicholas Sarkozky had been reportedly plotting an escape to England to avoid paying taxes and get away from a corruption probe, which may imprison him.
The scheme was discovered after law officials found about Sarkozy`s plan on confiscated computer files, in a raid at the Paris residence of the former president following his defeat in the presidential elections, New York Daily News reports.
According to the plan, Sarkozy and his third wife, former supermodel Carla Bruni, would escape to London to evade a proposed ``millionaire`s tax`` and open an investment firm worth several billion dollars in the city, the report said.
Sarkozy was following the footsteps of French actor Gerard Depardieu, who evaded taxes and escaped to Russia, causing widespread outrage in France, the report added. Sarkozy is under investigation for illegally taking money from L`Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt to fund his 2007 election campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog