Sarkozky planned a London decamp to escape corruption probe
Washington: Former French President Nicholas Sarkozky had been reportedly plotting an escape to England to avoid paying taxes and get away from a corruption probe, which may imprison him.
The scheme was discovered after law officials found about Sarkozy`s plan on confiscated computer files, in a raid at the Paris residence of the former president following his defeat in the presidential elections, New York Daily News reports.
According to the plan, Sarkozy and his third wife, former supermodel Carla Bruni, would escape to London to evade a proposed ``millionaire`s tax`` and open an investment firm worth several billion dollars in the city, the report said.
Sarkozy was following the footsteps of French actor Gerard Depardieu, who evaded taxes and escaped to Russia, causing widespread outrage in France, the report added. Sarkozy is under investigation for illegally taking money from L`Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt to fund his 2007 election campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH