Sarkozky planned a London decamp to escape corruption probe
Washington: Former French President Nicholas Sarkozky had been reportedly plotting an escape to England to avoid paying taxes and get away from a corruption probe, which may imprison him.
The scheme was discovered after law officials found about Sarkozy`s plan on confiscated computer files, in a raid at the Paris residence of the former president following his defeat in the presidential elections, New York Daily News reports.
According to the plan, Sarkozy and his third wife, former supermodel Carla Bruni, would escape to London to evade a proposed ``millionaire`s tax`` and open an investment firm worth several billion dollars in the city, the report said.
Sarkozy was following the footsteps of French actor Gerard Depardieu, who evaded taxes and escaped to Russia, causing widespread outrage in France, the report added. Sarkozy is under investigation for illegally taking money from L`Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt to fund his 2007 election campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!