Sarkozy aide charged in illegal political funding
Paris: An aide of French former president Nicolas Sarkozy has been charged in an illegal political funding scandal known as the ``Karachi Affair``- a complex probe into alleged kickbacks on arms deals. Nicolas Bazire, the current number two of luxury group LVMH, was accused of handling illicit funds used for political campaigns, as per reports.
Bazire, who was formerly a campaign manager for ex-prime minister Edouard Balladur, had been under investigation since September.
Investigators are looking into irregularities in the financing of Balladur``s 1995 presidential campaign. Sarkozy was Balladur``s campaign spokesman and budget minister at the time. Judges suspect Balladur``s campaign of receiving illicit "retro-commissions" from the sale of French submarines to Pakistan.
Two Sarkozy political aides and a former minister are under formal investigation over the affair. Judges are also probing claims that a 2002 bombing in Karachi that killed 11 French naval engineers was carried out by Pakistani agents in revenge for the cancellation of bribes secretly promised to officials.
The payment of arms sales commissions was legal in France until 2000, but the payment of kickbacks back to France was and is illegal. The probe focuses on the 1994 sale of submarines to Pakistan and frigates to Saudi Arabia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble