Sarkozy campaign funding letter `fake`: Libya
Tripoli: A letter in which Muammar Gaddafi`s regime agreed to fund French President Nicolas Sarkozy`s 2007 election campaign appears to be fake, Libya`s National Transitional Council said on Wednesday.
"We think that the letter is fake," NTC chief Mustafa Abdel Jalil told a news conference in Tripoli.
Mediapart website last month posted what it said was a 2006 document signed by Gaddafi`s foreign intelligence chief Mussa Kussa referring to an "agreement in principle to support the campaign for the candidate for the Presidential Elections, Nicolas Sarkozy, for a sum equivalent to EUR 50 million”.
At the news conference, Abdel Jalil also called on France to help Libya extradite Bashir Saleh, a former Libyan official who was implicated in the alleged campaign scandal.
The letter, which Sarkozy has dismissed as a "crude forgery", was addressed to Saleh, Gaddafi`s former chief of staff and head of Libya`s USD 40 billion sovereign wealth fund, who currently resides in France.
Kussa from exile in Doha has also dismissed the document as a fake.
"These are media leaks that started in France," said Jalil. "We in the government do not have official information about this but if we have precise information we will release it with transparency."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy