Sarkozy creates replica of ‘Champs-Elysées office’
London: Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has recreated an exact replica of his old French presidential office at his new Paris base, it has emerged.
The former head of state has been learnt to be ‘aggrieved’ at being kicked out of power after just one term, and has ordered staff to keep ‘everything the same’, which included buying everything similar to his Champs-Elysées office viz desk, chairs, telephones and other furniture.
“Only the view from the window has changed,” the Daily Mail quoted a journalist who has been inside the new office, as saying.
He added that Sarkozy uses the suite of rooms to ‘receive his showbusiness friends’, as he did at the Elysee.
The extraordinary revelation comes as the 58-year-old faces widespread corruption enquires centring on the way he was elected to the presidency in 2007, and is accused of illegally accepting thousands of pounds in cash from France’s richest woman Liliane Bettencourt, the L’Oreal cosmetics heiress, who is said to have provided the money in brown envelopes to fund Sarkozy’s political career in return for future tax breaks.
The French police reportedly raided Sarkozy’s new offices in Rue de Mironmesnil in the 8th arrondissement of Paris, less than half-a-mile from the Elysee, while there were also coordinated raids at his lawyers’ offices and at the Paris mansion while he and his wife Carla Bruni were off for a holiday in Canada.
Senior sources in his conservative UMP party have claimed that Sarkozy denies all the charges, and firmly believes that he is still popular enough to become president again one day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city