Sarkozy creates replica of ‘Champs-Elysées office’
London: Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has recreated an exact replica of his old French presidential office at his new Paris base, it has emerged.
The former head of state has been learnt to be ‘aggrieved’ at being kicked out of power after just one term, and has ordered staff to keep ‘everything the same’, which included buying everything similar to his Champs-Elysées office viz desk, chairs, telephones and other furniture.
“Only the view from the window has changed,” the Daily Mail quoted a journalist who has been inside the new office, as saying.
He added that Sarkozy uses the suite of rooms to ‘receive his showbusiness friends’, as he did at the Elysee.
The extraordinary revelation comes as the 58-year-old faces widespread corruption enquires centring on the way he was elected to the presidency in 2007, and is accused of illegally accepting thousands of pounds in cash from France’s richest woman Liliane Bettencourt, the L’Oreal cosmetics heiress, who is said to have provided the money in brown envelopes to fund Sarkozy’s political career in return for future tax breaks.
The French police reportedly raided Sarkozy’s new offices in Rue de Mironmesnil in the 8th arrondissement of Paris, less than half-a-mile from the Elysee, while there were also coordinated raids at his lawyers’ offices and at the Paris mansion while he and his wife Carla Bruni were off for a holiday in Canada.
Senior sources in his conservative UMP party have claimed that Sarkozy denies all the charges, and firmly believes that he is still popular enough to become president again one day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh