Sarkozy `most unpopular French Prez in 50 years`
London: Nicolas Sarkozy has emerged as
the most unpopular French President in 50 years in a new poll.
According to the French poll, Sarkozy`s popularity has
gone down to just 29 per cent, 3 points less than in September
to reach its lowest ever, ahead of another week of strikes and
petrol shortages, the `Daily Mail` reported.
The low announced by `BVA Orange L`Express` was even
lower than President Sarkozy`s previous Fifth republic record
of 32 per cent in 2008.
Sarkozy, in fact, is polled even more unpopular
than General Charles De Gaulle who oversaw the new French
constitution in 1958.
The General said "Non" to British membership of the
Common market, expelled US army bases, pulled France out of
NATO, and refused to resign during the student revolution of
Signs that Sarkozy`s determination to push through
pension reforms and raising retirement age from 60 to 62 may
have placed him on a slippery slope emerged last week.
Surprisingly, the poll revealed that 57 per cent of
French people support Unions` and students` protests and 68
per cent of French people believe the economic policy of his
government is bad.
Within the 71 per cent of the population unhappy
with Sarkozy`s general policies, 73 per cent of private sector
employees and 79 per cent manual workers and service employees
said "Non" to Sarkozy`s regime, the poll showed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender