Sarkozy party rejects idea of Strauss-Kahn conspiracy
Paris: French President Nicolas Sarkozy`s
party rejected on Sunday as "grotesque" suggestions that Dominique
Strauss-Kahn was the victim of a plot to ruin his presidential
"This story is ridiculous ... this plot argument is
grotesque," said UMP party leader Jean-Francois Cope, while
Interior Minister Claude Gueant dismissed the allegations as
The remarks came after an article in the New York Review
of Books that included hints by associates of the disgraced
ex-International Monetary Fund chief that his arrest on sexual
assault charges in New York on May 14 might have been a
Strauss-Kahn, then tipped to beat Sarkozy in France`s 2012
presidential elections, was taken off a plane to Paris that
afternoon after maid Nafissatou Diallo said he had attacked
her in a posh Manhattan hotel.
Strauss-Kahn resigned as head of the IMF as a result of
The charges were dropped after prosecutors said Diallo
lied about details of her allegations, but they and subsequent
claims of sexual misconduct in France were enough to end
Strauss-Kahn`s political ambitions.
The New York Review of Books article by investigative
journalist Edward Epstein quotes sources saying that
Strauss-Kahn suspected a smartphone that disappeared just
before his arrest had been hacked.
It also describes camera footage showing an employee of
the Sofitel hotel where the sexual encounter was alleged to
have taken place in Strauss-Kahn`s room, high-fiving a
colleague and appearing to perform a celebratory dance after
listening to Diallo`s testimony.
The article has rekindled speculation that began shortly
after his arrest about a plot to undermine the Socialist
politician, whose wife Anne Sinclair is a multi-millionaire
art heiress and celebrity journalist.
But Interior Minister Gueant said today: "I would say that
it`s pure fantasy."
"I read Epstein`s article. What does it say? That DSK
(Strauss-Kahn) lost his phone. It`s not because one loses
one`s phone that there is a setup," he told French television.
UMP leader Cope said that "we will not fall into this trap
of pursuing this story which has nothing to do with politics,"
adding conspiracy theories were always abundant in the run-up
Cope said yesterday that "to imagine that what happened to
Strauss-Kahn was the object of some sort of collusion by the
UMP is stretching things a lot."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy