Sarkozy pressured on Pakistan arms deal allegations
Paris: French opposition lawmakers on Thursday
called on President Nicolas Sarkozy to give all details of any
links to suspected kickbacks on arms deals allegedly used to
fund political campaigns.
Three Socialist deputies spoke out after extracts from a
Luxembourg police report published yesterday alleged that a
company set up with Sarkozy`s approval channelled money from
arms deal commissions to fund political activities in France.
French investigators have since 2008 been probing
allegations that the cancelling of commissions for one of the
arms deals prompted an attack that killed 11 French engineers
in Pakistan in 2002.
News website Mediapart quoted a Luxembourg police report
as saying that Sarkozy oversaw the establishment in Luxembourg
of two companies, Heine and Eurolux, when he was budget
minister under Prime Minister Edouard Balladur.
Balladur and Sarkozy have repeatedly dismissed
allegations of illegal party funding.
But Mediapart quoted the Luxembourg police as saying:
"The agreements on the creation of the two companies appear to
have come directly from Prime Minister Balladur and Finance
(Budget) Minister Nicolas Sarkozy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh