Sarkozy reviews options after French poll defeat
Paris: French Prime Minister Francois Fillon will meet President Nicolas Sarkozy on Monday to discuss the consequences of the ruling centre-right UMP party`s heavy loss in regional elections at the weekend.
Fillon said on Sunday he accepted his share of the blame for one of the worst defeats for the centre-right in decades, as voters punished the government for the weak economy, growing unemployment and often incoherent policy presentation.
Although Fillon is not expected to offer his resignation, some ministers look certain to lose their jobs in what one senior official predicted would be a "technical reshuffle”.
The UMP bloc was comprehensively beaten on Sunday, winning no more than three of France`s 26 regions and taking only 35.4 percent of the vote compared with 54.1 percent for the Socialists and their allies, according to preliminary results.
The far-right National Front scored 9.4 percent of the national vote but took more than 22 percent in its two core regions in the north and south to underline the scale of the loss for the centre-right.
Fillon said on Sunday that the government would press ahead with reforms that include an overhaul of the pensions system, and would make jobs and economic growth an "absolute priority”.
But the pressure for a change of course has been growing.
"The defeat of the right in the regional elections will mark a turning point in the presidency of Nicolas Sarkozy," the conservative daily Le Figaro said in a front page editorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400