Sarkozy seeing Pope amid Gypsy crackdown fallout
Vatican City: French President Nicholas Sarkozy has arrived for an audience with Pope Benedict XVI that is seen as a fence-mending visit following France`s controversial expulsion of Gypsies.
Sarkozy`s government has linked Gypsies, or Roma, to crime and dismantled hundreds of their shantytowns. It also expelled more than 1,000 Roma in recent months, sending them home to Romania and Bulgaria.
Benedict appeared to weigh in on the crackdown with a subtle message about tolerance. Speaking in French to pilgrims gathered at his summer residence Aug. 22, Benedict urged people to accept "legitimate human diversity" and asked parents to "educate your children about universal brotherhood."
The crackdown has been criticized by many Roman Catholics.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India