Sarkozy to get lavish ex-presidential perks
London: Whether or not he returns to work as a lawyer, former French president Nicolas Sarkozy is entitled to lavish post-retirement perks - a hefty pension, a furnished apartment, a chauffeur-driven car and free air tickets.
Like all former French presidents, 57-year-old Sarkozy -- whose fondness for the symbols of wealth led to him being nicknamed President Bling Bling -- is to receive Euros 6,000 every month as "pension".
Moreover, if he decides to sit on the Constitutional Council, again his right as a former president, Sarkozy will get another Euros 11,500 a month. In fact this is paid whether he starts practicing law or not, `The Guardian` reported.
He also has the right to a "fully furnished and equipped" apartment paid for by the state, two police officers to ensure his security, a state car with two chauffeurs, seven office staff and free business-class travel on Air France.
And if he does fly abroad, Sarkozy has the right to stay in the local ambassador or consul`s residence.
Quoting `Europe 1`, the British newspaper reported that Sarkozy has already chosen himself a new "ex-President`s office" -- a 323-square-metre, 11-room apartment in the chic eighth arrondissement of Paris.
Sarkozy, who lost the presidential election to socialist Francois Hollande earlier this month, has taken over the first floor of the building, and the Euros 15,000-a-month rent will be paid for out of public coffers. The office is 200 metres from the law chambers where he has suggested he will practise.
The cost to the state of the benefits for each former French president has been estimated at about Euros 1.5 million a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA