Sarkozy’s lawyers strongly deny ‘exploiting L`Oreal heiress’ claim
London: Lawyer for former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has rejected claims of exploiting the mental frailty of the country`s richest woman to raise election funds as ‘flawed’.
The remarks came after a Bordeaux magistrate launched a formal inquiry into whether Sarkozy took advantage of Liliane Bettencourt, the 90-year-old L`Oreal heiress, after she was declared in a state of dementia, to help raise money for his 2007 election campaign.
According to the New York Post, his lawyer Thierry Herzog said he would seek to annul the formal investigation, the final step before a suspect is accused of a crime and drawn into a case which could take years to complete.
Herzog told RTL radio that Sarkozy will carry on fighting this but at the same time he believes the treatment that has been meted out to him has been disgraceful.
Sarkozy’s allies also leapt to his defense, with one suggesting the timing of the investigation was politically motivated to distract from a scandal surrounding one of Hollande`s ministers, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH