Sarkozy’s lawyers strongly deny ‘exploiting L`Oreal heiress’ claim
London: Lawyer for former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has rejected claims of exploiting the mental frailty of the country`s richest woman to raise election funds as ‘flawed’.
The remarks came after a Bordeaux magistrate launched a formal inquiry into whether Sarkozy took advantage of Liliane Bettencourt, the 90-year-old L`Oreal heiress, after she was declared in a state of dementia, to help raise money for his 2007 election campaign.
According to the New York Post, his lawyer Thierry Herzog said he would seek to annul the formal investigation, the final step before a suspect is accused of a crime and drawn into a case which could take years to complete.
Herzog told RTL radio that Sarkozy will carry on fighting this but at the same time he believes the treatment that has been meted out to him has been disgraceful.
Sarkozy’s allies also leapt to his defense, with one suggesting the timing of the investigation was politically motivated to distract from a scandal surrounding one of Hollande`s ministers, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video