Saudi activist arrested over `unauthorised` meetings: Wife
Jeddah: Saudi authorities detained prominent rights activist Waleed Abulkhair on Wednesday for setting up an "unauthorised" gathering hall where he held meetings with reformists in the absolute monarchy, his wife said.
Abulkhair, was taken into custody for setting up "an unauthorised diwaniah," or gathering place, and "due to his relations with the reformists and for hosting them in our diwaniah," Samar Badawi told a news agency.
She said Abulkhair will be interrogated tomorrow by the public prosecutor of Jeddah, who will decide whether to release him on bail on keep him in custody.
The lawyer is already facing two trials over disrespecting the judiciary and having contact with foreign organisations.
In June 2012, Abulkhair was accused of "disrespecting the judiciary system... Contacting foreign organisations and signing a petition demanding the release of detainees," some of whom were being held over suspected terror links, his wife said at the time.
Three months earlier, authorities banned him from travelling to the United States where he had been due to attend a forum organised by the State Department, he told AFP.
And in February 2011, he signed two petitions demanding political reform in the ultra-conservative kingdom, where political parties are banned.
Abulkhair has created a group on Facebook -- Monitor of Human Rights in Saudi -- which has nearly 7,000 members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand