Saudi activists call for election boycott
Dubai: More than 60 Saudi intellectuals and activists called for a boycott of their country`s municipal election in September, in an online petition posted on Sunday.
"We announce a boycott of the elections and urge all those who have the right to participate as candidates or voters to boycott them," said the 67 signatories, including writers and journalists.
The group said they will boycott the poll because "municipal councils lack the authority to effectively carry out their role" and "half of their members are appointed”.
"Women are for the second time banned from participating, whether as voters or candidates ... meaning that half of society is excluded from participating," they said.
The municipal election in Saudi Arabia, the only form of public vote in the conservative kingdom, is to be held on September 22.
In May 2009, the government extended the term of municipal councils by two years. The kingdom`s first vote was held in 2005, when half the members of 178 municipal councils were elected while the rest were named by the government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents