Saudi agrees on nuclear energy pact with France
Riyadh: The Saudi cabinet agreed today to
sign a nuclear cooperation accord with France, which could
open the way for French help in developing nuclear power in
the oil-rich kingdom.
The agreement is "for the development of peaceful uses of
nuclear energy," the cabinet announced after its weekly
meeting in a statement carried by the official SPA news
The pact was first proposed by French President Nicolas
Sarkozy in talks with King Abdullah in June 2007 in Paris, and
the French side submitted a draft when Sarkozy visited Riyadh
in January 2008.
Saudi agreement was delayed while Riyadh undertook last
year a formal review of its nuclear policy, which resulted in
the April 2010 announcement that the kingdom would establish a
new research centre on nuclear and renewable energy.
That was seen as the strongest signal yet that the
country, which burns large amounts of oil and natural gas to
generate electricity and desalinate sea water for domestic
consumption, could develop nuclear power.
No details of the new pact were released, and there was
no indication of when Riyadh and Paris would formally sign the
The holder of around one-fifth of the world`s known oil
reserves, the Saudis have moved slowly on nuclear energy,
despite having signed a bilateral peaceful nuclear cooperation
pact with the United States in May 2008.
In December, neighbouring United Arab Emirates awarded a
South Korean-led consortium a USD 20.4-billion contract for
four nuclear power plants.
The Saudi cabinet today also agreed on a draft bilateral
tax treaty with France, and on a third pact on cooperation
between the Saudi Institute of Public Administration and
France`s elite Ecole Nationale d`Administration, or ENA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!