Saudi Arabia beheads, crucifies Yemeni for murdering Pakistani
Sydney: Saudi Arabia has beheaded a Yemeni man and then crucified his body after he was convicted of murdering a Pakistani national.
The kingdom`s Interior Ministry said that Yemeni citizen Mohammed Rashad Khairi Hussein killed a Pakistani, Pashteh Sayed Khan, after he committed sodomy with him.
A statement carried by state news agency SPA said on Wednesday that the Yemeni was also convicted of carrying out a series of attacks and robberies.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the execution in the southern city of Jizan was followed by crucifixion, implemented by the ultra-conservative country for serious crimes.
The beheading brings the number of people put to death to 28 in Saudi Arabia so far this year.
In 2012, the kingdom executed 76 people, according to a tally by an international news agency based on official figures. The US-based Human Rights Watch put the number at 69.
Rape, murder, apostasy, armed robbery and drug trafficking are all punishable by death under Saudi Arabia`s strict version of sharia, or Islamic law, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter