Saudi Arabia on alert for al Qaeda attack on Hajj
Riyadh: The Interior Minister says Saudi Arabia is on alert for a possible al Qaeda attack next week during hajj, the annual Islamic pilgrimage that draws millions of worshippers to the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.
Prince Nayef did not mention any specific threat or intelligence on an attack. But when he was asked at a news conference about the possibility of an al Qaeda strike on hajj, he said: "We don`t rule out any possibility of something that disturbs the security" of the pilgrims.
The hajj begins on November 15 and lasts for several days.
Saudi Arabia gave the West key intelligence on two mail bombs recently intercepted after they were sent on planes from neighbouring Yemen. Al Qaeda in Yemen claimed responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir