Saudi Arabia warns citizens against fighting in Syria
Dubai: Saudi Arabia has warned its citizens fighting against the regime of Bashar al-Assad in Syria that they will be detained immediately upon their return to the Kingdom.
In comments published by Saudi media, a Saudi interior ministry official said that participation in the fighting in Syria is in violation of Saudi laws.
According to Gulf News, Major General Mansour Turki, spokesman at the Saudi interior ministry, said that anyone who is proven to be intending to travel to Syria to join the fight against the regime they will be investigated and barred from travelling.
He added that some who had been involved with al Qaeda in foreign countries may be heading to Syria or elsewhere to wage war.
The warning follows after recent reports in the Saudi press about deaths of Saudi fighters in Syria.
According to the report, international media has reported that hundreds of Saudi youths have entered Syria via Turkey and Jordan to fight.
Turki said that Saudi Arabia has information about the presence of “some Saudi citizens” in Syria, but did not know their numbers, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song