Saudi Arabia warns citizens against fighting in Syria
Dubai: Saudi Arabia has warned its citizens fighting against the regime of Bashar al-Assad in Syria that they will be detained immediately upon their return to the Kingdom.
In comments published by Saudi media, a Saudi interior ministry official said that participation in the fighting in Syria is in violation of Saudi laws.
According to Gulf News, Major General Mansour Turki, spokesman at the Saudi interior ministry, said that anyone who is proven to be intending to travel to Syria to join the fight against the regime they will be investigated and barred from travelling.
He added that some who had been involved with al Qaeda in foreign countries may be heading to Syria or elsewhere to wage war.
The warning follows after recent reports in the Saudi press about deaths of Saudi fighters in Syria.
According to the report, international media has reported that hundreds of Saudi youths have entered Syria via Turkey and Jordan to fight.
Turki said that Saudi Arabia has information about the presence of “some Saudi citizens” in Syria, but did not know their numbers, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why