Saudi beheaded after killing 3 in car chase
Riyadh: Saudi authorities beheaded a citizen in the northern town of Hael Tuesday after he was convicted of intentionally causing the deaths of three people during a car chase, the interior ministry announced.
Talal bin Fayez al-Shemmari "intentionally hit the car" carrying three men -- Abdelkarim al-Shemmari, Mufawaz bin Falhi al-Shemmari and Walid bin Radi al-Shemmari -- during a high-speed car chase "due to a dispute between them," the ministry said.
The three men being pursued were killed in the crash, said the statement carried by the official SPA news agency.
Tuesday`s execution takes to 31 the number of people put to death in Saudi Arabia since the beginning of the year, according to an AFP count.
In 2012, the kingdom executed 76 people, according to an AFP tally based on official figures. The US-based Human Rights Watch put the number at 69.
Rape, murder, apostasy, armed robbery and drug trafficking are all punishable by death under Saudi Arabia`s strict version of sharia, or Islamic law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!