Saudi beheads man convicted of murder
Riyadh: Saudi Arabia on Thursday beheaded a man
convicted of murder in the kingdom`s southwest, the interior
Abulrahman al-Qarni shot dead fellow Saudi Mushabab
al-Khathami during a dispute, said the ministry statement
carried by state news agency SPA.
The man was beheaded in the town of Al-Baha in
southwestern Saudi Arabia, SPA reported.
The beheading brings to six the number of executions
carried out in Saudi Arabia so far in 2012, according to an agecy’s tally based on official reports.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
voiced alarm last month at the almost threefold increase in
executions in Saudi Arabia last year.
Amnesty International said the kingdom executed 79 people
Saudi Arabia applies the death penalty for a wide range
of offences, including rape, murder, apostasy, armed robbery
and drug trafficking.
In 2010, 27 people were executed, according to the UN,
citing a report by Human Rights Watch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam