Saudi beheads man convicted of murder
Riyadh: Saudi Arabia on Thursday beheaded a man
convicted of murder in the kingdom`s southwest, the interior
Abulrahman al-Qarni shot dead fellow Saudi Mushabab
al-Khathami during a dispute, said the ministry statement
carried by state news agency SPA.
The man was beheaded in the town of Al-Baha in
southwestern Saudi Arabia, SPA reported.
The beheading brings to six the number of executions
carried out in Saudi Arabia so far in 2012, according to an agecy’s tally based on official reports.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
voiced alarm last month at the almost threefold increase in
executions in Saudi Arabia last year.
Amnesty International said the kingdom executed 79 people
Saudi Arabia applies the death penalty for a wide range
of offences, including rape, murder, apostasy, armed robbery
and drug trafficking.
In 2010, 27 people were executed, according to the UN,
citing a report by Human Rights Watch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?