Saudi beheads man convicted of murder
Riyadh: Saudi Arabia on Thursday beheaded a man
convicted of murder in the kingdom`s southwest, the interior
Abulrahman al-Qarni shot dead fellow Saudi Mushabab
al-Khathami during a dispute, said the ministry statement
carried by state news agency SPA.
The man was beheaded in the town of Al-Baha in
southwestern Saudi Arabia, SPA reported.
The beheading brings to six the number of executions
carried out in Saudi Arabia so far in 2012, according to an agecy’s tally based on official reports.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
voiced alarm last month at the almost threefold increase in
executions in Saudi Arabia last year.
Amnesty International said the kingdom executed 79 people
Saudi Arabia applies the death penalty for a wide range
of offences, including rape, murder, apostasy, armed robbery
and drug trafficking.
In 2010, 27 people were executed, according to the UN,
citing a report by Human Rights Watch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sugar prices up in Delhi by Rs 2 in June-July at Rs 40-41 per kg
- MEA rules out India-Pakistan bilateral talks during SAARC meet in Islamabad
- Here comes a solar cell that functions like a plant
- BJP MP Anurag Thakur is Lt Anurag Thakur now, joins Territorial Army – Watch his pics here
- What an achievement! Anurag Thakur becomes first BJP MP to be commissioned into Territorial Army