Saudi beheads rapist who burned victim to death
Riyadh: A Bangladeshi man was today beheaded
by the sword in the Saudi capital after being convicted of
raping a woman and burning her to death, the Interior Ministry
Munir Ahmed Hussein Shah broke into his victim`s house
and then raped her, the ministry said in a statement carried
by the official SPA state news agency.
He tried to strangle her and locked her in a room after
setting it on fire, which led to her death, it said.
The beheading brought the number of executions this year
to 50 in the kingdom, which imposes the death sentence for
rape, murder, apostasy, armed robbery and drug trafficking
under the country`s strict Islamic Sharia law.
In 2008, Saudi Arabia put 102 people to death.
The Rome-based anti-death penalty group Hands Off Cain
last week ranked Saudi Arabia third in the world in 2008 for
executions, after China, which carried out more than 5,000
death sentences, and Iran, with 346.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui