Saudi beheads rapist who burned victim to death
Riyadh: A Bangladeshi man was today beheaded
by the sword in the Saudi capital after being convicted of
raping a woman and burning her to death, the Interior Ministry
Munir Ahmed Hussein Shah broke into his victim`s house
and then raped her, the ministry said in a statement carried
by the official SPA state news agency.
He tried to strangle her and locked her in a room after
setting it on fire, which led to her death, it said.
The beheading brought the number of executions this year
to 50 in the kingdom, which imposes the death sentence for
rape, murder, apostasy, armed robbery and drug trafficking
under the country`s strict Islamic Sharia law.
In 2008, Saudi Arabia put 102 people to death.
The Rome-based anti-death penalty group Hands Off Cain
last week ranked Saudi Arabia third in the world in 2008 for
executions, after China, which carried out more than 5,000
death sentences, and Iran, with 346.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation