Saudi cleric gets 8 years prison for killing child
Riyadh(Saudi Arabia): An official Saudi news website says a prominent Muslim preacher has been sentenced to eight years in prison and 800 lashes for raping and beating his 5-year-old daughter to death.
Fayhan al-Ghamdi, who often preached on television, was convicted of beating his daughter Lama with canes and electrical cables, crushing her skull.
She was also raped repeatedly and died in a Saudi hospital in November 2012.
The news website Sabq reported the sentencing yesterday, saying al-Ghamdi was not given a harsher sentence because Lama`s mother accepted 1 million riyals, roughly USD 267,000, from her ex-husband during litigation in the case, as "blood money" allowed under Saudi law.
- Pakistan drop Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal for England tour
- Protests in Manipur over unsolved murders
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: We are investigating former IAF chief SP Tyagi's bank accounts, asset details, says CBI
- WATCH: Unbelievable cricket moment- Batsman scores 18 runs off 1 ball!
- Syrian conflict in many ways out of control, warns John Kerry