Saudi cleric urges youth not to join Syria rebels
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia): A Saudi cleric has advised Muslim youth against joining Syrian rebel fighters in the 19-month civil war against President Bashar Assad`s regime.
Salman al-Audah warns that their presence among the rebels might serve the Assad regime`s claim that the rebellion is the work of terrorist groups.
He told the Al-Jazeera satellite channel today that the Syrian rebels need money, weapons and prayers.
Al-Audah said a few Muslim fighters joining the Syrian rebels won`t change the course of the conflict, but it could undermine European support. He said Europeans could associate foreign Muslim fighters with terrorists.
Al-Audah`s comments were carried on his website.
There are no reliable figures for the number of foreign fighters in Syria. Estimates put the number in the hundreds.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights