Saudi crown prince passes away in Geneva
Riyadh: Saudi Arabia`s heir apparent Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz Al Saud died on Saturday at a Geneva hospital following prolonged illness, Al Jazeera reported. The 78-year-old was undergoing treatment at a Geneva hospital.
The funeral prayers will be held Sunday evening.
Nayef was appointed the new crown prince by Saudi King Abdullah last October, following the death of former crown prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
According to Xinhua, Nayef, who was also the country`s interior minister, had been ill for a long time and was receiving medical treatment in Switzerland.
Saudi state TV confirmed that Nayef`s death occurred at a Geneva hospital Saturday.
In a statement the Saudi Royal Court said: "With deep sorrow and grief, the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, announced the death of his brother, crown prince Naif bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, deputy premier and minister of Interior, who passed away Saturday.
"A funeral prayer will be performed for his soul at the Holy Mosque in Makkah after Maghreb (sunset) prayer Sunday.
"The Royal Court condoles the Saudi people on the deceased prince, praying to Allah Almighty to bless his soul and to reward him for his services to his religion and homeland."
Nayef served as the second deputy premier and interior minister of the world`s top oil supplier since 1975.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest