Saudi king flies home early as Syria war intensifies
Riyadh: King Abdullah was back in Saudi Arabia on Saturday after flying home early from a convalescence stay in Morocco to follow events, as the Syrian conflict intensifies, state media reported.
The king flew back on Friday evening from Morocco, where he had been staying since May 31, "because of the turn of events that the region is currently going through," the official SPA news agency said.
The news agency did not elaborate but the king`s return came hours after Washington announced that it would provide weapons to the Syrian rebels for the first time because of what it described as reliable intelligence that the Damascus regime had made small-scale use of chemical weapons.
Saudi Arabia is a key supporter of the Syrian rebels and has long advocated providing them with better weaponry.
The 89-year-old monarch still has difficulty walking despite two operations to repair what doctors have described as "a ligamentary slackening in the upper back."
The king`s age and frequent hospitalisations have raised concerns about the future leadership of the world`s key oil producer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself