Saudi king names Prince Salman as defence min
Riyadh: King Abdullah on Saturday named his
half-brother Prince Salman, who is governor of Riyadh, as
Saudi Arabia`s defence minister to succeed the late Crown
Prince Sultan, state television Al-Ekhbariya said.
Prince Sattam bin Abdul Aziz was appointed Riyadh`s
governor in Prince Salman`s place, the report said, citing a
series of royal decrees, under which Prince Khaled bin Sultan,
the late crown prince`s son, was named deputy defence
King Abdullah late last month named Interior Minister
Prince Nayef bin Abdul Aziz as crown prince succeeding his
brother Sultan, who died in a US hospital on October 22.
Salman, who was born in 1935 and served as Riyadh`s
governor since 1955, and Nayef are full brothers. He was
considered close to Sultan, who he accompanied on his trips
abroad for medical treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city