Saudi king names Prince Salman as defence min
Riyadh: King Abdullah on Saturday named his
half-brother Prince Salman, who is governor of Riyadh, as
Saudi Arabia`s defence minister to succeed the late Crown
Prince Sultan, state television Al-Ekhbariya said.
Prince Sattam bin Abdul Aziz was appointed Riyadh`s
governor in Prince Salman`s place, the report said, citing a
series of royal decrees, under which Prince Khaled bin Sultan,
the late crown prince`s son, was named deputy defence
King Abdullah late last month named Interior Minister
Prince Nayef bin Abdul Aziz as crown prince succeeding his
brother Sultan, who died in a US hospital on October 22.
Salman, who was born in 1935 and served as Riyadh`s
governor since 1955, and Nayef are full brothers. He was
considered close to Sultan, who he accompanied on his trips
abroad for medical treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!