'Total shutdown of Muslims entering US': Saudi Prince slams Donald Trump, calls him ‘disgrace to America'
Chairman of Kingdom Holding Company Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal has said that Donald Trump was a 'disgrace'.
Riyadh: Joining the list of those who have slammed Donald Trump, chairman of Kingdom Holding Company Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal said that the frontrunner for the US Republican nomination was a 'disgrace'.
Alwaleed tweeted on Friday, “@realDonaldTrump You are a disgrace not only to the GOP but to all America.
“Withdraw from the U.S. presidential race as you will never win,” he added.
.@realDonaldTrump You are a disgrace not only to the GOP but to all America. Withdraw from the U.S presidential race as you will never win.
— الوليد بن طلال (@Alwaleed_Talal) December 11, 2015
The next day, a statement from Alwaleed’s office said that the tweet was in response to Trump’s “anti-Islam statement,” as per Al Arabiya news.
On the other hand Trump also tweeted the following:
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 12, 2015
On December 08, Trump had created a massive controversy when he called for "a total and complete shutdown" of Muslims entering the US in the aftermath of the California massacre.
The comments drew swift condemnation from rivals and the White House.
According to a statement issued by his campaign, Trump called for "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on," as per PTI.
His stunning provocative remarks came just a day after President Barack Obama called for rejecting religious tests for admission into the US.
"We have no choice," Trump said repeating his pledge at a rally in South Carolina hours later to loud cheers, warning of more 9/11-style attacks if stern measures were not taken.
Trump has been lambasted all over the world for his comments.
Condemning Trump's statement, the Council on American- Islamic Relations (CAIR) said that it had documented a wave of abuse, vandalism and acts of discrimination in the last month.
Social media reacted with hashtags such as #racism, #fascism and #bigot trending heavily, as Jeb Bush, Republican presidential hopeful, tweeted: "Donald Trump is unhinged. His 'policy' proposals are not serious".
Donald Trump is unhinged. His "policy" proposals are not serious.
— Jeb Bush (@JebBush) December 7, 2015
(With Agency inputs)