Saudi renews support to Egypt against `terrorism`
Jeddah (Saudi Arabia): Egypt`s interim president Adly Mansour won fresh support from King Abdullah for his country`s fight against "terrorism" as he on Tuesday wound up a trip to Saudi Arabia, official news agency SPA said.
Mansour arrived yesterday in the Red Sea city of Jeddah on his first official trip abroad since he replaced the Islamist Mohammed Morsi after the army deposed him on July 3.
Abdullah, who was the first leader to welcome Morsi`s ouster, affirmed the kingdom`s support to Egypt against "terrorism, deviance, and sedition, and against whoever tries to interfere in Egypt`s internal affairs," SPA quoted him as saying.
Saudi Arabia had long seen Morsi`s Muslim Brotherhood as a threat and along with other Gulf monarchies -- excluding Qatar which supports the movement -- quickly pledged financial aid to Egypt`s new military-installed authorities.
Mansour said he had come to Saudi Arabia to "thank" the monarch.
"Visiting the kingdom was a must, as I had to thank the custodian of the two holy mosques (King Abdullah) personally on his supportive stances that comforted the Egyptians," Mansour told the Saudi daily Asharq al-Awsat.
King Abdullah was the first head of state to congratulate Mansour, doing so just hours after his appointment in July.
Riyadh subsequently announced an aid package of USD 5 billion to Egypt.
The Saudi monarch in August pledged his country`s support to Egypt`s fight on "terrorism", saying it was the military-installed government`s "legitimate right".
Egypt`s authorities had said they were confronting a "malicious terror plot" by Islamists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened