Saudi women allowed to divorce ‘smoking’ husbands
Dubai: A Saudi judge has allowed women to divorce husbands who smoke.
The judge said that should the women have health issues because of their husbands’ smoking habits, they could file cases against them and the “legal rules applied in these cases could reach the stage of divorce.”
“If a woman married a man and then found out that he is a smoker, and she mentioned in her case that she had, as a result of his smoking, a health issue in the chest and severe allergy, after stating that she didn’t want in the first place to marry a smoker because she considered it a fault in the man, their marriage should be ended because of the harm smoking causes and the inability of the couple to continue their life together,” the Gulf News quoted the judge, as saying.
However, he excluded the cases of those women who were aware of their husband’s smoking prior to finalising their marriage contract, while the duration of marriage is another factor that will be to take into consideration.
According to official figures, there are nearly 6 million smokers in Saudi Arabia, including 600,000 women, and 772,000 teenagers, including intermediate and secondary school students, while the country is the fourth largest importer of cigarettes in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video