Saudis to build nuclear, renewable energy centre
Riyadh: Oil giant Saudi Arabia Saturday gave
its strongest signal yet that it wants to develop atomic power
by announcing a new centre for nuclear and alternative energy
Former commerce minister Hashem bin Abdullah Yamani was
named to head the King Abdullah City for Nuclear and Renewable
Energies, to be built in Riyadh, said an announcement on the
official SPA news agency.
The government said the centre would undertake research
and develop projects in nuclear and alternative energies
toward the goal of diversifying the kingdom`s power generation
away from oil and natural gas.
While the Gulf kingdom has already been experimenting
with alternative energy sources like solar power, the latest
move confirmed its interest in nuclear energy.
The new entity is to draft a national policy on nuclear
energy development and supervise all commercial use of nuclear
power and the handling of radioactive waste, the announcement
It pointed to high growth in demand for electricity from
Saudi Arabia`s mainly oil- and natural gas-fired power plants,
especially for energy-intensive water desalination projects.
"The use of alternative sources of sustainable and
reliable electricity and desalinated water production reduces
the reliance on hydrocarbon resources, and thus provides an
additional guarantee for the production of water and
electricity in the future," it said.
While Saudi Arabia has the world`s largest proven oil
reserves and huge hydrocarbon riches, high population growth
and heavy energy subsidies have driven up domestic oil and gas
consumption at a rate that has sparked concern among planners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark