Savita Halappanavar only maternal death recorded in Ireland in 2012
London: Ireland, a predominantly Catholic country, has recorded the of Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar as the only maternal casualty in 2012, which a new report has found was not true.
The latest annual report of Ireland`s Central Statistics Office (CSO) for 2012 records only one maternal death during the year, that of Indian dentist Savita Halappanavar, while at least five other fatalities were reported by maternity units.
The lack of accuracy has been blamed on limited sources and reliance on death certificates for information without contacting hospitals, a spokesperson told the `Irish Independent`.
The death of 31-year-old Halappanavar following a miscarriage has been the subject of two inquiries and an inquest since the incident at University Hospital Galway on October 28, 2012.
It has been recorded as a maternal death in the CSO report, which fails to account for two maternal deaths at Coombe Maternity Hospital in Dublin and three in Cork University Hospital.
A report carried out last year has discovered these gaps in the CSO report and indicates that the rate of maternal death in Ireland could be double the official figure.
The official maternal death rate, based on the CSO figures, was four per 100,000 births.
However, the first report from the Maternal Death Enquiry (MDE) Ireland says the true maternal death rate is eight per 100,000 births.
This information could help with increasing support for the Irish government`s move to clarify legislation around abortion where there is a real danger to the mother-to-be’s life.
While the CSO relies on death certificates, the MDE, which is funded by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), gathers its information from various sources including hospitals, Coroners’ Courts and public health nurses.
Their latest report, covering 2009-2011, found that 25 women who attended Irish maternity hospitals died during this period of time. In comparison, the CSO figures missed 20 of those deaths.
The Irish government has put forth the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill, support for which grew following the death of Savita after an inquest heard that she had been denied a potentially life-saving abortion on the grounds that Ireland was a "Catholic country".
A long-awaited report of the HSE inquiry into the death is expected to be published within the next 10 days.
The probe had been set up in November, days after Savita died of septicaemia after being admitted at 17 weeks into her pregnancy and found to be miscarrying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday