Savita`s husband likely to pursue her case in European courts
London: The husband of an Indian dentist, who lost her life after being denied an abortion in Ireland, has indicated that he would consider further action in the case through the courts in Europe after a jury at her inquest ruled that she died of medical misadventure.
An 11-member yesterday unanimously ruled that 31-year-old Savita Halappanavar died of "medical misadventure".
Soon after the verdict, he husband Praveen Halappanavar said he is still considering further action through the courts in Europe, as he believes his wife`s right to life was breached, The Irish Times reported.
"I haven`t got my answers yet why Savita died. I will get to the bottom of the truth," he said.
"Medicine is all about preventing the natural history of the disease and improving the patient`s life and health, and look what they did. She was just left there to die. We were always kept in the dark," he said.
"If Savita would have known her life was at risk she would have jumped off the bed, straight to a different hospital. But we were never told."
Savita was 17 weeks pregnant when admitted to University Hospital Galway on October 21 last year.
She died a week later from blood poisoning after doctors refused to terminate her pregnancy, telling her that the foetal heartbeat was still present and "this is a Catholic country".
A spokesman of the University hospital Galway acknowledged there were lapses in the standards of care provided to Savita.
Tony Canavan, chief operating officer of Galway Roscommon Hospital Group, promised the deficiencies identified at the inquest would be recified by the hospital and all recommendations would be taken on board.
Some of the recommendations had already been acted on, he said.
The Medical Council, whose guidelines featured prominently at the inquest, said it would reconsider these rules after the Government changed the legal position.
Speaking in Cork after the verdict, Ireland`s Minister for Health James Reilly said lessons learned from the inquest would feed into new guidelines for medical care.
The Minister said he would have no issue apologising to Halappanavar but wanted to read the inquest report first.
Dr Reilly said the loss of Savita had been desperately hard on her husband Praveen and his family and the family of late Savita and he did not want to add to this in any way by making any kind of general comment at this time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in