Stockholm: Travel companies in Sweden, Norway and Denmark said on Wednesday they were cancelling all of this season`s trips to Egypt amid the chaotic protests aimed at ousting President Hosni Mubarak.
Swedish travel companies Fritidsresor, part of the TUI international travel group, and Ving, a Thomas Cook company, said they were cancelling all trips to Egypt until April 29 and April 30 respectively.
Their competitor Apollo, Sweden`s third-largest travel group which is controlled by Switzerland`s Kuoni, meanwhile said it was "cancelling all winter trips to Egypt”, adding that some 20,000 customers would be affected.
The companies said their decision was based on the Swedish Foreign Ministry`s decision on Sunday to advise against all non-necessary travel to all of Egypt, extending the warning from Cairo only.
The tourism companies had already said they were temporarily cancelling departures and would bring back their customers currently in Egypt.
Star Tour, also a TUI company present in Norway in Denmark, said it was cancelling all trips to Egypt for the rest of the winter season, until April 26.
The company said its decision was based on the Danish and Norwegian Foreign Ministry`s decisions to advise against all non-essential travel to Egypt.
Most Scandinavian tourists in Egypt travel to resorts along the Red Sea, which have not been affected by the heavy turmoil rocking cities throughout the country.