Schiphol airport bomb threat suspect arrested
Amsterdam: Dutch police arrested a man suspected of making a bomb threat at Amsterdam`s Schiphol Airport on Monday after the scare forced a partial evacuation at the airport, one of Europe`s busiest, military police said.
Terminals 1 and 2 were evacuated and sealed off after police received a call from a man claiming he was in the airport with a bomb.
A bomb squad and police carrying automatic weapons soon arrived, and police later reported the man suspected of making the threat had been arrested.
Witnesses saw seven unmarked vehicles racing away from the departure hall with drivers wearing black, SWAT-style masks over their faces.
Some flights were delayed following the bomb scare, and hundreds of evacuated passengers stood outside the terminals while ambulances and fire trucks waited nearby.
A spokesman at state-owned Schiphol Group said the terminals were still closed and would be reopened only after the military police give the green light.
Schiphol is one of Europe`s busiest airports with around 45 million passengers per year.
Train traffic, which runs under the airport in a tunnel, was not affected, a spokesman for rail network operator ProRail said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US