School shootings in US claim over 100 lives in 20 yrs
Washington: Over 100 people have been killed and dozens of others injured in several school shootings in the US over the last 20 years with the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007 being the deadliest claiming 32 lives, including two Indians.
In the April 16, 2007 shooting on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, Virginia, Seung-Hui Cho shot and killed 32 people and wounded 17 others in two separate attacks, approximately two hours apart, before committing suicide.
According to a list of some violent incidents at US schools compiled by CNN on Feb 27, 2012 a student opened fire at Chardon High School, Chardon, Ohio killing three and wounding four others.
On Oct 2, 2006 Charles Roberts IV, 32, went to the small Amish West Nickel Mines School, Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania and takes at least 11 girls hostage. Five girls were killed and six others wounded. Roberts then killed himself.
On Nov 8, 2005, a 15-year-old student opened fire on a principal and two assistant principals at Campbell County Comprehensive High School, Jacksboro, Tennessee, killing one of them and critically wounding another.
On March 21, 2005 Jeff Weise, 16, killed his grandfather and another adult, four fellow students, a teacher and a security officer at Red Lake High School, Red Lake, Minnesota. He then killed himself.
On March 5, 2001, Charles "Andy" Williams, 15, killed two classmates and injured 13 at Santana High School, Santee, California. Williams was sentenced in 2002 to at least 50 years in prison.
On April 20, 1999, Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, killed 12 fellow students and one teacher at Columbine High School, Littleton, Colorado, before committing suicide in the school library.
On May 21, 1998, after killing his parents the previous day, 15-year old Kip Kinkel returned to Thurston High School, Springfield, Oregon, armed with a rifle. He killed two students in the school cafeteria, a 16- and a 17-year old. He was sentenced to 112 years in prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read