School van accident in China, 11 children killed
Beijing: At least 11 children were killed and four others injured when a school van plunged into a pond in eastern China, state media reported Monday.
Te van carrying 15 kindergarten children and one teacher plunged into a roadside pond this morning at Guixi City in Jiangxi Province, a spokesman for the local government said.
Three children died on the spot while another eight died at a local hospital, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The four injured are in stable condition, the spokesman said, adding the pond is about three to four meters deep.
Police have detained the van`s driver for questioning.
Overcrowding on Chinese school buses is common in rural areas. Today`s accident is the latest in a string of deadly crashes in China involving school children.
Last year, a small school van overloaded with 62 children crashed head-on with a truck in western China, leaving 19 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea