School van accident in China, 11 children killed
Beijing: At least 11 children were killed and four others injured when a school van plunged into a pond in eastern China, state media reported Monday.
Te van carrying 15 kindergarten children and one teacher plunged into a roadside pond this morning at Guixi City in Jiangxi Province, a spokesman for the local government said.
Three children died on the spot while another eight died at a local hospital, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The four injured are in stable condition, the spokesman said, adding the pond is about three to four meters deep.
Police have detained the van`s driver for questioning.
Overcrowding on Chinese school buses is common in rural areas. Today`s accident is the latest in a string of deadly crashes in China involving school children.
Last year, a small school van overloaded with 62 children crashed head-on with a truck in western China, leaving 19 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’