School van accident in China, 11 children killed
Beijing: At least 11 children were killed and four others injured when a school van plunged into a pond in eastern China, state media reported Monday.
Te van carrying 15 kindergarten children and one teacher plunged into a roadside pond this morning at Guixi City in Jiangxi Province, a spokesman for the local government said.
Three children died on the spot while another eight died at a local hospital, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The four injured are in stable condition, the spokesman said, adding the pond is about three to four meters deep.
Police have detained the van`s driver for questioning.
Overcrowding on Chinese school buses is common in rural areas. Today`s accident is the latest in a string of deadly crashes in China involving school children.
Last year, a small school van overloaded with 62 children crashed head-on with a truck in western China, leaving 19 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress