Scotland declines to attend US Lockerbie hearing
London: Scottish ministers have declined a request to attend a US Senate hearing about the circumstances surrounding the release of the Lockerbie bomber, a spokesman for the Scottish government has said.
The Senate Committee on Foreign Relations wrote a letter to the Scottish administration inviting Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill and the Scottish Prison Service`s medical chief, Andrew Fraser, to attend the hearing in
Washington on July 29.
Sen Robert Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat, wrote to First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond, saying that the invitation was to help the senators better understand why Scotland decided to free Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi from jail last year and send him home to Libya.
Megrahi was convicted of the 1988 bombing of a US airline that slammed into the Scottish town of Lockerbie, killing 270 people.
The senators are investigating whether an oil exploration deal between BP and Libya influenced the decision to release al-Megrahi.
A spokesman for the Scottish government confirmed on Thursday that the invitation to MacAskill and Fraser had been turned down.
Both Salmond and British Foreign Secretary William Hague had written to Sen John Kerry, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, to stress that there was nothing to suggest BP had influenced the Scottish government.
Also yesterday, the BBC and Sky News reported that former British justice secretary Jack Straw had also been invited to the Senate hearing.
Straw said in a statement he had not received any formal invitation, but commented that it was "highly unusual" for the US to inquire into the British decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM