Scotland to legalise same-sex marriage
London: The government of Scotland is set to legalise same-sex marriage, a minister announced on Wednesday.
Deputy First Minister Nicole Sturgeon announced the government`s plans to bring forward legislation that would allow such marriages, the Daily Express reported.
The controversial issue has been backed by politicians from all the main parties.
"We are committed to a Scotland that is fair and equal, and that is why we intend to proceed with plans to allow same-sex marriage and religious ceremonies for civil partnerships. We believe this is the right thing to do," Sturgeon said.
The decision came after 80,000 people responded to a Scottish government consultation on the issue.
The British government has also put forward proposals to bring in same-sex marriage, but ministers are waiting until the end of a consultation before making a decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi