Scotland to legalise same-sex marriage
London: The government of Scotland is set to legalise same-sex marriage, a minister announced on Wednesday.
Deputy First Minister Nicole Sturgeon announced the government`s plans to bring forward legislation that would allow such marriages, the Daily Express reported.
The controversial issue has been backed by politicians from all the main parties.
"We are committed to a Scotland that is fair and equal, and that is why we intend to proceed with plans to allow same-sex marriage and religious ceremonies for civil partnerships. We believe this is the right thing to do," Sturgeon said.
The decision came after 80,000 people responded to a Scottish government consultation on the issue.
The British government has also put forward proposals to bring in same-sex marriage, but ministers are waiting until the end of a consultation before making a decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days