Scotland to legalise same-sex marriage
London: The government of Scotland is set to legalise same-sex marriage, a minister announced on Wednesday.
Deputy First Minister Nicole Sturgeon announced the government`s plans to bring forward legislation that would allow such marriages, the Daily Express reported.
The controversial issue has been backed by politicians from all the main parties.
"We are committed to a Scotland that is fair and equal, and that is why we intend to proceed with plans to allow same-sex marriage and religious ceremonies for civil partnerships. We believe this is the right thing to do," Sturgeon said.
The decision came after 80,000 people responded to a Scottish government consultation on the issue.
The British government has also put forward proposals to bring in same-sex marriage, but ministers are waiting until the end of a consultation before making a decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?