Scotland Yard app targets London riot suspects
London: The Scotland Yard is planning to upload up to 2,800 CCTV images of people suspected of committing crimes in last year`s London riots onto its smartphone app so that the public can help the police track down those who remain unpunished.
The free Facewatch ID app developed with facial recognition software firm Facewatch and launched in April to identify people behind low-level crime, will contain 2,880 photographs which can be sorted via postcode.
The app then allows them to inform on people they see on it by sending a name and address straight to officers.
Assistant commissioner Mark Rowley, head of specialist crime & operations at Scotland Yard, said: "This is a great opportunity for the public to help us fight crime and bring those who remain outstanding to justice."
"My hope is that the two-thirds of Londoners who own smartphones will download this app, and help us identify people we still need to speak to.
"We need Londoners to browse through the app every week or so as new images will appear regularly. This is a fantastic way for Londoners to help us to fight crime."
Almost 3,000 people have already appeared in court on charges relating to the riots in London and other areas including Bristol, Birmingham, Reading, Kent and Manchester last year.
The disorder erupted following a protest in Tottenham, north London, on August six after 29-year-old Mark Duggan had been shot dead by police two days earlier.
The app will also include a further 2,000 images of people wanted by the police for offences not connected to the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!