London: An investigation by UK's Scotland Yard of an explosive device found on the London Underground network earlier this week have uncovered a linked bomb plot in south-west England.
Metropolitan Police officers cordoned off streets surrounding a property in Newton Abbot in Devon yesterday, hours after arresting a 19-year-old in north London.
They said the operation in the small market town 200 miles away from London was linked to the discovery of a "viable improvised explosive device" on a Tube train in North Greenwich, south-east London, on Thursday.
A Scotland Yard spokesperson said: "Officers attended an address in Newton Abbot , Devon as part of enquires into the suspicious item at North Greenwich Underground Station.
Whilst there, officers found an item they deemed suspicious. Officers evacuated the address and alerted Devon and Cornwall Police.
"Devon and Cornwall Police in conjunction with SO15 are now dealing with the item."
Searches are continuing at the house in Newton Abbot, but police say a second device found there was "not viable".
The device was found by officers from the Metropolitan Police's counter-terrorism command SO15 as they searched the property on Saturday afternoon.
After the device was declared non-viable, Devon and Cornwall Police said further forensic searches would continue at the house and a police guard would remain in place.
Meanwhile, Westminster Magistrates Court has allowed investigating officers to detain the arrested 19-year-old until Friday, October 28.
The Met Police says security has been stepped up around the transport network in London.
On Thursday, a suspect device was found onboard a London Underground carriage on the Jubilee Line near the O2 Arena and entertainment centre in Greenwich.
The discovery of the device, which had wires and a clock, prompted the UK's Ministry of Defence to warn military personnel of the danger of a "severe" threat on the Tube.