Scottish nationalists launch independence campaign
London: The Scottish National Party (SNP) unveiled its "unprecedented" campaign to win independence from Britain.
Campaign chief Angus Robertson told the party`s conference in Inverness, north Scotland, on Sunday that the party would "work as hard as possible" to ensure victory in a forthcoming referendum.
Robertson promised to convince voters from all political backgrounds that a `yes` vote in the referendum, due near the end of the five-year Parliament, would be the best move for Scotland.
Opposition lawmakers have urged the SNP to hold the vote now but the majority party, who swept to power in May`s election, vowed to stick to their manifesto pledge of a vote near the end of Parliament in 2016.
"Today, we are announcing that the independence referendum campaign is starting," Robertson said.
"We will work as hard as possible in an unprecedented national campaign to secure the majority `yes` vote for a sovereign independent Scotland."
Party leader Alex Salmond said that: "In my heart, in my head, I think Scotland will become an independent country within the European community," during an interview on Sunday`s BBC`s Andrew Marr Show.
Salmond confirmed on Saturday that the referendum would ask two questions.
Firstly, citizens will vote on "a straight yes-no question (on) independence," and secondly on "a fiscal autonomy option".
The SNP leader also vowed to increase the powers of the Scottish Parliament, which already decides on matters such as education, health, the environment and justice.
Key areas including foreign affairs and defence are still controlled by the British government in London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog