Scottish transport minister quits over snow chaos
London: Scotland`s transport minister has resigned after winter storms paralysed the transit system.
Airports were closed, trains halted and Scotland`s busiest highway shut down earlier this week after a bout of heavy snow and ice. Motorists were stranded overnight in their cars on gridlocked roads.
The chaos surprised many because Scotland is more used to dealing with cold weather than its southern neighbour, England.
In a resignation letter on Saturday, Transport Minister Stewart Stevenson said, "I could have done much more to ensure that members of the public who were caught up in a difficult and frightening set of circumstances were better informed of the situation."
First Minister Alex Salmond said he accepted the resignation with regret.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Batla House encounter: BJP protests outside Sonia Gandhi's residence
- 'FIR' actor Suresh Chatwal no more, co-star Kavita Kaushik expresses grief
- Virat Kohli fails to breach 1000-run barrier but breaks Suresh Raina's IPL batting record
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose lived as KK Bhandari in 1960s?
- AIB's Tanmay Bhat blasted on Twitter for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar | WATCH his controversial video