Sea Shepherd attacks Japanese whaling ship
Tokyo: Japanese whalers have faced a fresh
attack by militant activists from the international
organisation Sea Shepherd during an Antarctic mission, a
Japanese whaling body said on Wednesday.
Anti-whaling campaigners aboard the Sea Shepherd
Conservation Society`s "Gojira" speedboat threw glass bottles
at the Yushin Maru-2 and threw ropes aimed at its propeller,
said the Institute of Cetacean Research, which organises
Japan`s whaling mission.
The Japanese ship issued warnings to the activists`
boat and none of the Japanese whalers were hurt, the institute
The institute condemned the actions of the campaigners
The clash followed an earlier attack by the Sea
Shepherd`s other ships Steve Irwin and Bob Barker against the
Japanese whaling ship Yushin Maru-3 in Antarctic waters on New
Anti-whaling nations, led by Australia and New
Zealand, and environmental groups have long criticised Japan
for its whale hunts, describing them as cruel and unnecessary.
Japanese anti-whaling activists also argue that
Japanese demand for whale meat has fallen significantly in
However, Japanese officials and whalers have argued
that whaling is an important part of Japanese culture.
Japan kills hundreds of whales a year under a loophole
in the 1986 moratorium on commercial whaling that allows
Loud and violent protests by Western activists have
fuelled Japanese public opposition to the anti-whaling
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM