Second al Qaeda commander dies in Syria infighting
Damascus: A local al Qaeda commander was killed on Thursday in northern Syria in ongoing clashes with Kurdish militiamen, the second to die in a week of infighting between extremist and moderate rebel factions.
UN experts resumed their probe into the use of chemical weapons in Syria`s civil war, but the rebel-against-rebel violence may further complicate their work on the ground.
The intensifying power struggle between disparate factions fighting to topple President Bashar Assad is threatening to further encumber a rebellion plagued by divisions and outgunned by the regime.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, an al Qaeda offshoot consisting mostly of foreign fighters, has sought to expand its influence in opposition held territories, employing brutal tactics and trying to impose Islamic law.
That has created a backlash against the group from more moderate factions concerned that extremists are discrediting their rebellion.
Highlighting the militants` growing muscle, activists said members of the ISIL broke the crosses off two churches and burned the contents of another in the northeastern city of Raqqa, hoisting in their place their group`s black Islamic banner.
The action triggered a protest by residents of Raqqa, which fell into rebel hands last year and has since been controlled mostly by extremist factions, according to a resident of the city who identified himself only by his first name, Amir, for fear of reprisals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof