Second day of voting in Namibia
Windhoek: Polling stations in Namibia opened on Saturday for the country’s second day of voting in national and Presidential Elections with long queues again in densely-populated areas.
"Polls opened at 7:00 am (0500 GMT) this morning and no problems were reported to me since then", Theo Mujoro, deputy operations director at the Electoral Commission of Namibia (ECN) said an hour after voting began.
Namibia, one of the last African nations to win independence, is voting in elections expected to return the long-ruling SWAPO to power despite a tough challenge from a new breakaway party.
Some polling stations at the coast were allowed late Friday to remain open past the deadline of 9:00 pm because queues were long. "This occurred at the port of Walvis Bay some 400 kilometres (248 miles) west of Windhoek last night," Mujoro confirmed.
Voting on the first day of the two-day election ran smoothly in most parts of the mainly desert nation, but was tarnished by the arrest of two polling officers who were found tampering with ballot boxes before the opening of the polls on Friday.
President Hifikepunye Pohamba, the successor to Namibia`s founding father Sam Nujoma, is seeking a second term in office and is expected to see off a challenge from former foreign minister Hidipo Hamutenya.
Hamutenya launched the new RDP party two years ago after losing a bid to take over SWAPO following the retirement of Nujoma in 2004.
The two parties are the biggest of 12 putting forward candidates for the presidency, with the RDP claiming about 390,000 supporters from an estimated 1.1 million voters.
Hamutenya was a popular figure within SWAPO, and he hopes to tap into dissatisfaction with the ruling party.
The RDP does not expect to win, but hopes to become the main opposition party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday