Second Haiti minister resigns in as many days
Port-Au-Prince: Haiti`s Communications Minister has resigned from her post, becoming the second Cabinet member to step down in as many days, media outlets have reported.
Privately-owned Radio Tele-Kiskeya and Radio Tele-Metropole said yesterday that Communications Minister Regine Godefroy had quit, citing an unnamed source. Neither outlet said why she was leaving.
Godefroy was named to the communications job in January, part of a second shake up by Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe since he became Haiti`s No 2 official in May. She previously had been director of the country`s postal service.
There was no immediate response from the government about the latest reported resignation. Godefroy could not be immediately located for comment yesterday.
News of Godefroy`s resignation came one day after Marie Carmelle Jean-Marie resigned as Haiti`s finance minister.
Jean-Marie didn`t speak to the press but several radio stations reported that she left her job because she didn`t receive support from her colleagues as she tried to bring transparency and other reforms to the office.
Lamothe has acknowledged Jean-Marie`s resignation, but his office declined to answer questions from a news agency. The back-to-back departures come amid growing allegations of various types of government corruption. Lamothe`s office has responded by issuing statements that his administration will not tolerate graft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH