Second inmate who escaped Chicago jail captured: US
Chicago: The second of two bank robbers who escaped from a high-rise federal jail in downtown Chicago more than two weeks ago has been captured, at an apartment complex across the street from a suburban police department, authorities said.
Kenneth Conley was arrested in Palos Hills yesterday afternoon, according to US Marshals Service spokeswoman Belkis Cantor. She said someone called local police yesterday morning thinking they recognised Conley. FBI spokeswoman Joan Hyde said the Palos Hills Police Department took him into custody.
Conley fled the Metropolitan Correctional Center last month with Joseph "Jose" Banks, apparently by smashing a hole in a wall at the bottom of a narrow cell window and squeezing through before scaling down about 20 stories using a knotted rope made out of bed sheets. Banks was arrested without incident two days later at a home on the city`s North Side.
A man who answered the phone at a number listed for Conley`s brother, Nicholas Conley, in Orland Hills refused to answer questions and asked that the family be left alone. A message left for Conley`s mother was not immediately returned.
Jail officials did not notice for hours on the morning of the escape that Banks and Conley were gone. Surveillance video from a nearby street showed the two hopping into a cab shortly before 3 am, local time on December 18. They had changed out of their orange jail-issued jumpsuits.
When the facility did discover the two men were gone around 7 am, what was found revealed a meticulously planned escape, including clothing and sheets shaped to resemble a body under blankets on beds, bars inside a mattress and even fake bars in the cells.
A massive manhunt involving state, federal and local law enforcement agencies was launched, as elite police teams stormed into the home of a relative of Conley only to learn the two escapees had been there and left. The authorities searched other area homes and businesses even a strip club where Conley once worked.
Law enforcement officials left a host of questions unanswered, including how the men could collect about 60 metres (200 feet) of bed sheets and what they might have used to break through the wall of the federal facility.
Conley, 38, pleaded guilty last October to robbing a Homewood Bank last year of nearly USD 4,000. He wore a coat and tie during the robbery and had a gun stuffed in his waistband.
Banks, 37, known as the Second-Hand Bandit because he wore used clothes during his heists, had been convicted of robbing two banks and attempting to rob two others. Authorities say he stole almost USD 600,000, and most of that still is missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand