Second person charged in G20 bomb plot
Toronto: As leaders of the world`s top economies gathered in Toronto, police on Thursday announced the arrest of a woman linked to a Canadian man charged in an alleged G20 summit bomb plot.
Byron Sonne, 37, was arrested in a Tuesday raid on a million-dollar home in midtown Toronto, several kilometres from the G20 summit site, the Integrated Security Unit (ISU) responsible for summit security said.
Kristen Peterson, 37 -- who according to local media is Sonne`s common-law wife -- was arrested late Wednesday following a search of the couple`s home and two properties near Toronto, according to police.
Peterson was charged with possession of an explosive device and of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, police said in a statement.
Details of the plot were not revealed.
"The investigation is ongoing as part of the Toronto Police Service`s efforts to ensure a safe and secure G20 Summit," said a statement from the unit following Sonne`s arrest. "There is no risk to public safety at this time."
ISU spokesman Sergeant Tim Burrows said the charges against Sonne -- intimidation, threat against the justice system, possession of explosives and dangerous weapons, and mischief -- were "very serious”.
"We had information that linked this to the G20 and G8," Burrows said.
Local media said more than 50 officers were involved in the raid on their home in an upscale Toronto neighbourhood midday Tuesday.
Sonne is to appear in court on Saturday.
Canadian police are being extra vigilant ahead of the back-to-back June 25-27 summits of the Group of Eight and G20 nations in the Toronto region.
Some 20,000 policemen from across Canada secured summit sites in Toronto and Huntsville, north of the metropolis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state