Second term Ahmadinejad leads Iran to brink of new sanctions
Tehran: In the year since his disputed
re-election, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has led Iran to the
brink of new UN sanctions with his defiant stance over a
nuclear programme the West suspects is aimed at making an atom
Maintaining the hardline "not one iota" position that
marked his first four years in office, Iran repeatedly
rejected proposals drafted by the UN atomic watchdog last
October to allay Western suspicions through a nuclear fuel
When Ahmadinejad`s government finally signed up to a
face-saving version of the deal under Turkish and Brazilian
auspices last month, the United States had already written off
the idea because of the amount of additional uranium Iran
had enriched in the meantime.
The UN Security Council is now poised to vote on a
US-drafted sanctions resolution today for pursuing the nuclear
drive which Tehran says is purely peaceful.
Ahmadinejad had counted on veto-wielding Security Council
permanent members China and Russia, both of which have strong
trade ties with Iran, to block US-led pressure for a new
package of punitive measures.
But yesterday, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said
the sanctions resolution had been "practically agreed upon" by
the major powers, although he added that Moscow had fought to
ensure that they "should not be excessive."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!