Secret video released of detained Chinese lawyer
Beijing: Secretly shot video of a Chinese activist lawyer who has been under strict house arrest since his release from prison last year has been leaked online. This is the first the public has heard from Chen Guangcheng since his release.
The US-based China Aid Association released the video on Thursday. They said it came from an "anonymous government friend inside China" who is upset about the way Chen and his family are being treated.
Chen is a blind, self-taught lawyer who was sent to prison in 2006 after documenting forced late-term abortions and sterilisations and other abuses in his rural community.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton mentioned Chen in a speech shortly before Chinese President Hu Jintao`s visit to Washington last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered