Section of China`s Great Wall collapses in rains
Beijing: A section of China`s ancient and global attraction, Great Wall, has collapsed in the current round of rains.
Repair work is underway for a section of the Great Wall in north China`s Hebei province that collapsed after days of continuous rain, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The wall collapsed when strong currents of water from the mountains crushed the Dajingmen section of the Great Wall in Zhangjiakou following days of continuous rain, an official with the city`s Qiaoxi district said.
Experts have cleared the fallen section, which extends 36 meters, and reinforced other loose sections to prevent further collapses.
Cracks were also spotted on other parts of the wall near the collapsed section.
Cultural relic`s protection experts are making proposals to repair the damaged areas.
The Dajingmen section of the Great Wall was built during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and has endured years of erosion, which also contributed to the collapse, experts said.
A great amount of rainfall has battered China since the rainy season began, causing widespread flooding in the vast country.
Last month, the heaviest downpours in over 60 years in Beijing paralysed the capital city, killing 79.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Aussie legend Craig McDermott hails Ishant Sharma as a real workhorse
- Spain seeks `urgent` answers from London after nuclear sub collision
- Tinder rolls out its new feature in India
- Transgenders to soon be categorised as 'third gender', can change gender after sex-change surgery
- 'Don't abandon search', MH370 families plead